Everybody’s in an uproar today, which is all fine and dandy, except that most people are freaking out over misunderstanding, assumptions, and rumors. The least we can do is freak out about the facts, my friends.
Everything I’m about to say is TRUE and has been confirmed with GRL organizers. (They answer questions, if you ask. Just FYI.) Now, whether or not this new policy is fair or asshatted isn’t my concern. That can be debated someplace else. My only point here is to provide actual hard truths.
Last year, GRL had 130 authors. This year, there will be 100 authors.
Of those 100 authors, 70 of them will be Featured Authors. Featured Author spots cost $350 and include the following:
- Listing as an attending author on the GRL website
- Recognition as an author at the retreat with an official “GRL author” lanyard and the right to promo your work during the weekend
- One reserved spot in the GRL booksigning event
- Reserved space in the swag room
- An author spotlight (reading, Q&A, or panel) (*added value for 2013*)
- The option to purchase additional author spotlights, space permitting, at the cost of $125 each, based on availability
- The opportunity to bid on any existing special event time outside of our planned daytime spotlights
- The option to purchase promotional extras such as banner space, streaming videos, and other advertising material to feature yourself (while supply lasts)
The last 30 spots are reserved for Supporting Authors. Please note, this is NOT the same as the “pre-invited” authors everybody is mad about. The 30 Supporting Author spots are reserved specifically for authors who are just starting out in their career or who only have one or two books out. These spots cost $225, and include the following:
- A lower registration fee than featured authors at the time of registration.
- Listing as an attending author on the GRL website .
- Recognition as an author at the event with an official “GRL author” lanyard and the right to promote their work during the weekend.
- Headline a separate “Supporting Authors” booksigning event on Thursday morning (because newer authors told organizers they felt that they were lost in the big room)
- Have the possibility of buying into the main book signing for a $50 fee, space permitting.
- Have the option to purchase an author spotlight, (space permitting) at the cost of $125 each.
- Reserve the option to purchase promotional extras like banner space, streaming videos, and other advertising material to feature their brands.
What about the “pre-invites?” It is true that 30 authors will have the opportunity to register early. None of these thirty authors have been notified yet, so if you haven’t heard from GRL, it doesn’t mean you’re not on the list. (For the record, I don’t know who’s on the list. I am not privy to that information.) These 30 authors will have two weeks to register. They will pay full price as detailed above. Other than being allowed to register early, they will receive no special treatment. If the pre-invited authors choose not to register at all or miss their two week deadline, their spots will be released in time for other authors to use them.
Those are the facts. If you have questions about any of this, I urge you to contact the GRL organizers. Don’t listen to rumors. Go to the source. They’ll be happy to answer your questions. You can contact them at email@example.com.
ADDENDUM 02/27: I’ve now been informed that 30 is not the correct number for the pre-invites. There are actually fewer than that. I wasn’t given an exact number, but was told “way less than 30.” Just FYI.